SQL Server Performance

wmiprvse CPU utilization

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by asc11, Nov 10, 2008.

1. asc11 New Member

Hello all,
    We have several SQL Server boxes in our environment. Some clusters, some stand-alone. We recently noticed that the clusters which have been up for a while (a few months) are seeing an unusually high amount of CPU being used by one of the wmiprvse processes. When I say relatively high, I'm saying about 50-60% of one CPU... total CPU usage depends (of course) on how many total CPUs in the system. We are not seeing this on stand alone machines. With the performance data we've been collecting, we can see this value increasing over the past few months. All systems are Windows 2003 Ent x64 R2 SP2 with SQL Server 2005 Ent x64 SP2.
    Has anyone heard of this before? Any ideas what the problem could be?
    Thanks.
  2. satya Moderator

3. moh_hassan20 New Member

It seems that there is a problem in the WMI provider process that WMIPRVSE service is hosting.
    To discover the reason , run process explorer (you can download it from sysinternals site) , and find what the process is being runing under wmiprvse.exe

Also that problem may be due to hardware problem. Try to make a diagonestic check for Server

4. asc11 New Member

Thank you both for your responses.
    satya, we already tried stopping all external monitoring software that might be using WMI. It had no effect. Also, the link you gave doesn't fit our situation. We have WMI using CPU, not crashing with an access violation.
    moh_hassan20, if it was only one box, I could believe it might be a hardware problem. Unfortunately, it all of our clusters, and each cluster is made up of different hardware.
    I did run process explorer to see what is running this wmiprvse process. It's tree looks like:
    System --> smss.exe --> winlogon.exe --> services.exe --> svchost.exe --> wmiprvse.exe
    The svchost process in the tree is running the DcomLaunch service. Any ideas?
    Thanks.
  5. moh_hassan20 New Member

The process smss.exe is responsible for administrating session,it is one of basic windows service.
    Unfortunately, it may be used by some adware/spyware virus like Dosingle Adware, Advision Adware and others.
    let us exclude that assumption first .
    Try to use Spyware Doctor and McAfee to scan servers and remove these malwares (if infected)
  6. melvinlusk Member

Did you find a resolution for this? I'm having the exact same issue across all of our clusters...
  7. melvinlusk Member

I've done a little research, and I think that there are some buggy WMI calls being made on clusters that run SQL. On a hunch, I restarted the WMI service on our active node, and the wmiprvse processes respawned with 0% CPU usage. This would explain a scenario that we've had in the past where CPU usage drops considerably after we do a reboot of our cluster nodes.
  8. asc11 New Member

That's about all we found as well... restarting the WMI service brings down the CPU usage, but it still ramps up over time. Our solution was to schedule a batch job to restart the WMI service every night. We thought about opening a case with Microsoft, but they would most likely have us restart the WMI service and say, "There you go! Problem solved! Call us in another month or so when you can see a noticable impact." Because the problem is not easily reproduced, troubleshooting with them would go nowhere.
    I'm glad, at least, that I now know I'm not the only one with this problem. I was never able to find anyone with the who was having the same exact issue. Now I know I'm not crazy. Thanks!
  9. melvinlusk Member

I did the same thing this morning.....scheduled a job to restart WMI nightly. It makes a big difference!