SQL Server Performance

xp-smtp mail and Windows firewall

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by javon7065, Nov 27, 2006.

1. javon7065 New Member

Hello. is anyone here using this combination: xp-smtp and the Windows Firewall? we recently started using the firewall on Windows Server 2003 and I see a 6 - 7 second delay sending emails using xp-smtp with the firewall on. no issues at all with the firewall off. strange.

any help is appreciated.

thanks,

joe
  2. satya Moderator

What is the worry then, if the emails are sent out without any errors?
    I believe it could be with authentication of process on the firewall to allow the emails out.

Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  3. javon7065 New Member

Thanks for the response. That was my initial reaction as well but the developer of the system that uses this SQL instance informed me that because of the delay, it is causing a timeout issue. for example, this application will try and send up to 150 emails. at 6 seconds a piece, that is 15 minutes. we have in mind a workaround for this issue but it is one of those things that I would like to get to the bottom of. I know that may not happen but I wanted to give it a shot.

what do you mean by "authentication of process"

thanks,

joe
  4. satya Moderator

I mean the firewall authentication for the email program to complete the process, normally I have seen this delay when using such firewall for security.

Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  5. thomas New Member

6-7 seconds delay on sending smtp emails is very typical in my experience. Some of mine take longer than that.