SQL Server Performance

xp_sendmail: failed with mail error 0x80040115

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by bj007, Mar 20, 2005.

1. bj007 New Member

Hello,
    I know it is weired. There was a network outage in our data center, which also involved reboots to many machines suddenly. When the dust settled, my xp_sendmail no longer is working.
    config: win2kadv server, MS sql 2000 Ent Ed[:0], sp3a
    This is a domain account; both sql services are running with this account. I can successfully stop and restart the mapi profile. I even deleted and created a new profile under a new name, attached it to the services, rebooted the box again, nothing works..
    Even a brand new box, and when I configure everthing new for the first time, it happens with the same error message.

My account is like this : Top Guns
    email: tguns@xxx.xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx.com

When I serarched MS website, there are 4 results. One says there should not be any special characters in the account. Do they mean about the @ . . . symbols in the account ? There is a hotfix in another, but i tried it never worked.

THE PROBLEM IS, my MSSQLAgent can send mails, my operator can send test mails,pages. Job success/failure emails are coming. Only SQLMail is the issue.

I logged on with this account, (it is sacred for MS services), and opened outlook, I can send and receive mails.

It is a production issue, so ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

BIJ
  2. satya Moderator

3. bj007 New Member

Nothing works. I even applied the hotfix from MS. created new profiles; rebooted a lot;
    succesfully stopped and restarted the mapi profile

Outlook works; xp_smtp_sendmail works; SQLAgentmail works; 3rd party utilities like "blat" works. Only xp_sendmail does not work. (SQLMAIL)

Frustrating....

Gurus! Please help. thanks.
  4. derrickleggett New Member

It's possible (not likely) that the .dll file somehow got corrupted during the outage. You could grab the .dll file off another server with the same service pack/patch level. Make a backup of the current .dll file. Shut down SQL Server and replace the file. See if it works. Other than that, there's not much you can do except call MS PSS. You might want to post on the MS forums. They have a lot of MSFT people who watch the forums pretty closely.

Can you send to any email account with xp_sendmail?

MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.